First loss of the season tonight. The team played aggressively but we were just slightly off with the timing of our runs and the touch on our passes. The other team got a head of steam and put a lot of pressure on us, and that’s where we lost the game, even though we only lost 5-4 in the end.
Back to basics tonight! Some of the guys from class competed in a local comp on the weekend, so with the kumite focus on the backburner again, it was down to technical work and kata. Felt like I trained alright, considering that I haven’t practiced karate in 10 days. Still a little down on intensity as I’m not fully recovered from my cold yet, but hopefully back to my best by Friday’s class.
First run around since coming down with a cold over the weekend. We won but I played a pretty crappy game, and I just felt really average throughout. Lacked strength in my throws, and found it hard to maintain concentration. Once I am properly back to full health, and back to karate training next week, things should pick up again and I will hopefully perform a bit better in goals next week!
Another long day with 5+ h of driving. Pleased to report that I didn’t feel as sluggish at training this time around! But going to have a find a way to physically recover from the amount of driving/sitting that I’m doing, now that I have a casual job 2h out of the city…
No karate today because of the public holiday. Thought I’d go to the gym instead, but drove all the way there, only to realise that the gym closed early, also because of the public holiday! Went for a short jog before getting bored and remembering why I don’t go running, so I did some mobility work at home. Bit of a shambles, but nice to have at least SOME activity today!
Sensei took the focus back to kata tonight, and boy how rusty I have become in just a few weeks of concentrating on kumite! Felt pretty slow and sluggish in my movements; 5 hours worth of driving today probably accounted for some of my lethargy… Every time I attend karate, I discover more about my own movement potential. Deficits and imbalances become immediately clear, but what is interesting is that, in the context of karate, I view these challenges as positive and invigorating. Extending karate as a way of living means that I must learn how to instill this mindset into other areas and other challenges in my life.
Number of sessions since 20/12/11: 29
Number of sessions in February 2012: 11
Number of sessions in 2012 so far: 23
- Strength training dropped off the radar as February went on. All out of laziness. My aim for March is to get back on the horse and continue making strength gains.
- Made lots of headway with my sparring skills. It was great to go to the Vic Karate State Champs to see their level, and to make some mental notes of techniques to try out in class :)
- Have just joined a futsal team, which means I get at least three sessions of organised activity in a week. I’ve never been good at keeping up habitual activity without organised sport! So the more things that are scheduled into my week, the better to keep me regularly moving.
- I’d like to build up to having sufficient endurance and recovery to train 5 or 6 out of 7 days. At this stage, 4 is about my limit; any more than that and I start accumulating soreness, session on session.
- In the process of building up my training capacity, I’ll need to work on learning to pace myself in training sessions. Part of the reason why I tend to accumulate soreness and fatigue is because I push myself too hard in light and moderate sessions, so I don’t get the requisite recovery before heavy sessions.
Training when sore isn’t fun. We did a lot of striking work today, with our technical warm ups as well as with ippon kumite and kumite. Though the session wasn’t as physically demanding as other classes this year, I feel a bit beaten up from accumulated fatigue over the last week. Looking forward to a recovery day - back to the gym tomorrow to work on some gentle movement maintenance! Yoga, release work, stretching, and some easy cardio.
First hit out with the indoor soccer team I’ve joined as goalie! Woke up this morning with lingering soreness from Friday’s karate class, so I was looking forward to having a bit of a run around. As it turns out, I’m probably a bit more sore now than this morning, after twice landing on my backside during training haha… All in all though, I had a good time doing something a little different to the usual. Looking forward to the start of the indoor soccer season on Wednesday :)
Felt physically sore before the session had even finished! We focused a lot on kumite technique tonight; specifically, I worked on footwork with the 1-2 punch combination, and directing my energies to forward momentum. It was very interesting to see just how much of a difference it can make, in terms of reach/punching distance, when the first step is slightly off from centre. Another technical component to work on: jabbing without pulling back the arm first to generate momentum. The pull back is the give away to your opponent, so the currency is time. Find a way to get power elsewhere!
On reflection, the first half of the session felt a lot more difficult than recent training sessions. I know it is due to two things: 1) I have been really slack with my diet over the last few weeks, letting myself go with Mon’s wedding and Torquay; and 2) I haven’t done any strength training or recovery work for a long long time…maybe three weeks? It’s definitely time to get my head screwed back on because I have been making great gains, but need to get back on the horse and continue being consistent with training throughout the week.